Ok well as I’ve already stated here is a near perfect zombie plan: http://theslightlyinsane.tumblr.com/post/6803995531/zombie-plans but somehow you’ve managed to ignore all that advice and found yourself stuck in a city despite all the above advice. Here is how you survive.
1) Find the nearest tower block. You want to avoid the tower blocks which have a large number of large windows.
A tower block like the one above should do fine. Not enough windows for zombies to crawl through but enough for you to see the horde coming from a few miles away.
2) When you’ve found a suitable tower block make sure there are at least two staircases. You want to booby trap each staircase but need to make sure you do not cut off all exits if the horde manage to get up to the floor you are situated in.
3) OK now you’ve found a tower block that seems suitable you need to check EVERY single room. You do not want to be surprised by some random rabid zombie in a flat now do you? AT NO TIME ARE YOU TO REMOVE A SINGLE DOOR! In a zombie apocalypse a door in a tower block is equal to even more safety, so find someone who can pick a lock as soon as possible. A lockable door is both extra security and danger at the same time so beware of any locked door but do not destroy the door. Open without destroying the door. Check the room is safe, then mark the room as a safe house before moving on.
4) OK now let us assume you have somehow managed to check every single room and booby trapped the two (at least) staircases. Next thing you need is someone who can garden. The roof is the best place for this. Build you and your group a garden with veg, herbs and spices. The veg you are going to grow is going to have to support everyone who gathers in your now secure tower block for an indefinite amount of time so make sure it is safe to eat and self-sustainable.
5) The garden is complete. The staircases are booby trapped. DO NOT GO BELOW THE THIRD FLOOR! You want to make sure at least three floors are free from zombie food aka people. Anyone below the third floor will be likely to be attacked and draw the horde towards your group so ensure you keep anyone in your survival group is above this floor. Floors 1 - 3 = danger floors, 4 and above = safety, so block and booby trap every inch of at least the first three floors, include some non-electrical monitoring system so you can have an advanced warning. You need to ensure that anything that reaches the third floor WILL die and remain dead.
6) As for your group you will need a locksmith (or even better find the person who has access to each room in the tower block AKA the manager of the tower block) for checking the rooms, gardener for food and at least four people who know how to work a blade/gun/weapon for protection. You shall need to keep at least one person on guard per staircase or entry point into the designated sleeping areas at ALL times. If any exit/entrance is unguarded for a second, your group will not survive. The more survival based skilled people you have in your group the better.
7) Unlike the previous zombie plan, large numbers of uninfected people is a plus. You need people to help you survive in a major city/town. The best way to survive if you fail to leave a place which once had a large population is to ensure that enough people remain uninfected to protect the group. With a handful people you will not survive, with a larger group you can rotate the duties that are needed to survive and allow all to remain alert if under attack.
For further information I recommend you listen to We’re Alive. It is a brilliant podcast and has covered pretty much everything mentioned above and much, much more. In actuality this article may be seen as a plagiarised version of the great podcast, but in all honesty I’d prefer to think of it as an extended and possibly over-worded but non-sanctioned advert/homage, more inspired by the podcast than actually copied. (If by any chance you end up reading this guys who made “We’re Alive” I’m a massive fan and love your podcast so please don’t sue, I’m really poor so it’ll probably be pointless and I’ve referenced you as my only source for this article, I just agree that the tower block is the best way to survive and have thought along similar lines of your podcast since I first found an interest in all things zombie many years ago and I deeply desire you to get even more popular as you so very much deserve). The podcast is brilliant and offers a great way to survive the inevitable zombie apocalypse. Go to www.zombiepodcast.com now or look up we’re alive on iTunes and subscribe. Let’s get these guys the massive fan base (I know they have already managed to get a massive fan base on their own merit but they NEED to break it into the big time aka novel/TV/film, the writing and story is brilliant and deserves to be picked up in a visual medium in the next few months, it will make one of the best series of movies or TV shows ever made) they truly deserve. I know the second I get any sort of money, I’m going to buy the CDs/merchandise and I hope those that read this article feel EXACTLY the same after subscribing. If you take one thing away from this article take this message: Listen to we’re alive.